AB Göta kanalbolag
The Berg locks are the Gota Canal's biggest tourist attraction, situated near the town of Linköping.
The famous lock area on the canal is in Berg, which has one flight of seven locks and another two double locks.
Restaurants, cafés, tourist information office, adventure golf are all right here, as well as a hostel and short-time parking for caravans.
The canal ships the M/S Wasa Lejon and the M/S Ceres make daily cruises on the Göta Canal from Berg.
Carl Johan Locks
The Göta Canal is undoubtedly a fascinating piece of engineering. In 2000, the canal was voted by the Swedish people as the country’s finest building achievement of the second millennium.
Formal name: Carl Johan (King Carl XIV Johan and his son Prince Oskar visited the building site in 1815 and laid two foundation stones for the locks, hence the name).
Technical facts: These seven connected locks are the longest flight of locks on the Göta Canal. They raise boats 18.8 metres between Lake Roxen and the visitors’ harbour at Berg. Operation is hydraulic. There are a total of eleven locks at Berg, all of which are built of limestone from a local quarry.
History of the lock: The lockkeeper’s house was built between 1810 and 1820. Originally, the interior was divided into two apartments for the lockkeepers and their families. Approximately 100 metres south of the locks is the former lock inspector’s house.
Formal name: Karl Ludvig Eugen ( King Karl XV).
Technical facts: The Karl Ludvig Eugen Locks are joined together and was electrified as early as 1969. They have a total rise of 5.5 metres.
History of the lock
The present lockkeeper’s house was built in 1935. The earlier building had a veranda for steamboat passengers.
Formal name: Oscar (after Crown Prince Oscar, later King Oscar I).
Technical facts: This double lock has a rise of 4.8 metres.
History of the lock
South of the lock lay the former granary of timber, which had stood there since at least the beginning of the 19th century. The granary burned down in April 1996. It contained the canal company’s workshop and storehouse. Today, it has been rebuilt on the original foundations and serves as a youth hostel.
West of the locks, on the north bank of the canal, stands a memorial stone which was erected in 1932 to commemorate the billeted soldiers who built the canal. The six blocks of light red granite have a bronze relief on the side facing the canal. The memorial was designed by C. Berger and has a symbolic depiction of the canal excavations.
The Berg lock area is situated 10 km north of the town of Linköping.