Åtvids big church
In the late 1800s, Åtvidaberg was in need of a larger church, so the decision was made to build a new, bigger church. A. E. Melander was commissioned to design an English-inspired neo-Gothic church. Åtvids big church was completed in 1884. The steeple is 63 metres high and the top is adorned with a lily.
Åtvids old church
Åtvids old church was built around 1500 and was one of Östergötland County’s largest at the time. In the late 1800s, Åtvidaberg was in need of a larger church. The old church fell into ruins and served as an open-air church for about 70 years. In the 1950s, Elof Ericsson, the director at the time, donated a large sum of money so the church could be rebuilt. The rededication took place in 1957. Now the old church is the one most frequently used in Åtvidaberg.
The bell tower
Peter Bragner, master builder from Linköping, constructed Klockstapeln in 1752. The previous bell tower was located in the cemetery at Åtvids old church. The new location was selected because they “wanted the bells to ring in a freer space”. The new church was ready in 1884 and they wanted to move the bells there. However, they were afraid that the pressure on the steeple walls would be too great so they decided that the bells should remain in the bell tower.
Bishop C. A. Cornelius dedicated Hannäs church on the fourth Sunday in Advent in 1885. It is a traditional English Gothic church with exposed rafters and trisected plank roof. Upon entering the temple, one is surprised by the bright, spacious interior. There was no altarpiece until four years after the dedication.Grebo churchGrebo church was completed in 1773. The church contains many beautiful objects that were donated by the large farmsteads in the area, except for the altarpiece. The large altarpiece was painted and donated by well-known artist Johan Stålbom.
Björsäters church was built with the help of its parishioners in 1800. The old stave church was thought to be in bad shape and was to be torn down. The baptismal font from the late 1200s is the church’s oldest object. The pulpit is placed over the altar, which is a unique placement found in only a few churches.
Yxnerums church was built in 1802 according to the fashion of the time as a large, white barn-like building with room for half of the parish’s population. There is room for 300 persons, of which 70 in the loft. The bell tower was built much later, with the bells being mounted in 1928.Värna churchThe present church in Värna was constructed in the 1500s of stone and brick. At first the church had a south entrance, but it has always had the same nave. The altarpiece with its wood sculptures was made in Germany in the mid-1400s. The pulpit is made of wood and its framework is most likely from the 1600s.
This neo-Gothic church designed by F. W. Scholander was one of the first of its kind in Sweden. After its completion in 1857, it was formally dedicated on 16 August by Dean J. Laruensius. The church houses some fixtures from Åtvids old church. Among them is the chancel crucifix from the 1300s.