Hoppa till textinnehållet
Menu
  • Accommodation
  • Eat
  • Sights
  • Activities
  • Areas
Accommodation
Product image

Saint Ingrid ruined abbey

| Translated by google translation |

About Ingrid Elofsdotter´s childhood and youth, there is not much written. Peter de Dacia, a lecturer in the Convent of the Dominikan order of Skänninge,  writes in a letter to Kristina of Stommeln that he had six "spiritual daughters" in Skänninge, Ingrid was one of them.
Ingrid Elofsdotter came from a rich aristocratic family and was the widow of a rich man. She and her sister Kristina had in 1272 begun to wear the Dominican nuns' costumes. Plans to start a monastery came from Ingrid's brothers Johan and Andreas Elofsson. Johan Elofsson were knights and relatives to the Archbishop Folke of Uppsala. He was also the father of Judge Birger Persson, the St. Bridget's father, in his first marriage.

The king issued protection letters.

Ingrid had a revelation by seeing the place where her convent would be. She traveled to several holy places, including she was in Jerusalem and in Rome to get the Pope's permissionto found the monastery. In 1282 issued Magnus Birgersson Ladulås a royal letter of protection for the monastery. Ingrid died the same year in the autumn. Initially the monastery was called St. Martin Monastery because it was close to a church called St Martin's Church. Later, during the Middle Ages called the monastery "Systrakonventet in Skänninge". The name S: Ingrid monastery is a later name.

The St. Bridget's youngest daughter, Cecilia, was a novice at St. Ingrid convent when Bridget and her husband went on pilgrimage tour to Santiago de Campostella. Bridget had envisioned a continued convent vocation for her daughter. But Cecilia's older brother, who was her guardian, took her out of the convent and married her off.

 

Contact information

Contact
Mjölby/Skänninge Turistbyrå
Box 685
59623 Skänninge
Phone: +46 142 85003

Facts

Information

| Translated by google translation |

 

Saint Ingrid of Skänninge, her life and achievements of Eva Fagerberg 2012.

Directions

Directions | Translated by google translation | St: a Ingrids ruined abbey located in the northern part of Skänninge. You get here by foot from the center of Skenaån and go over Motalagatan. Behind the block of houses is the monastery. Will the car you drive Motalagatan and go in at Preem petrol station, park at Info-Boards and walk up to the monastery.

Map

viewmap
We reserve the right to make any changes. Bookings and product purchases are made directly with the product owner whose name appears on the reservation. Any complaints are referred to the respective product owners. Edit product